Summer is upon us and the battle of the bugs has begun. We want to make finding the products you need to protect you and your horses from pesky insects this summer. We’ve compiled a list of our favorites for you.
- FLY SHEETS
- If you are looking for a super light-weight flysheet, the Gatsby Cool Mesh Fly Sheet is the way to go. We have found this sheet to be very durable even though it is super soft and light. It comes with a detachable hood and matching fly boots for full coverage.
- For the destructive horse types, you might want to opt for the Rambo Flybuster for maximum durability. It is a little heavier than the Gatsby Cool Mesh Fly Sheet, but it is made of a self-healing, heavy duty fabric that can stand up. To your horse’s abuse. Another unique feature is the No Fly Zone insect repellent that the fabric has been treated with to repel insects!
- Want your trail rides to be more enjoyable this summer? Cover your horse with Cashel’s Quiet Ride Bug Armor to protect them while out on the trail. You and your horse will be much happier!
- INSECT REPELLENT
- After trying many fly sprays, our pick this year is Farnam’s Tri-Tech 14. This is a long lasting, non sticky fly spray that repels against horse, house, stable, face, horn and deer flies, plus gnats, mosquitoes, lice and deer ticks. An added bonus…it contains sun screen!
- Looking for a natural fly and insect repellent for your horse? The Alzoo Herbal Fly Repellent Collar is a great solution. This collar repels flies, mosquitos, horseflies, gadflies, midges for up to three weeks!
- Don’t forget those sensitive areas on your horse that seem to attract a never-ending stream of gnats. Pyranha Equine Roll-On Insect Repellent is easy to use around the eyes to kill and repel Flies, Fleas, Ticks, Mosquitoes, and Gnats.
- FLY MASKS
- One of the best ways to protect your horse’s eyes this summer is with a properly fitting fly mask. Here are a few of our favorites. The Gatsby Cool Mesh Fly Mask is super light-weight and provides a tight fit. It even comes in a wide range of colors!
- If your horse needs extra coverage this summer, try the Fly Mask with Long Nose from Cashel. It covers the ears, eyes and nose to help prevent sunburn and keep the bugs at bay.
- Do you have a horse that seems to always get his fly mask off during the day? Then the Fly Mask by Professionals Choice is right up your alley. The lycra in this mask provides a snug fit around the face and mesh around the eye area that doesn’t impede their vision or comfort.
- Another great way to keep your horses comfortable this summer is make sure you have everything you need for fly control in your barn. Kool Kurtains has an amazing product that not only keeps bugs out of the barn, it reduces UV rays to keep the barn cooler.
- You don’t want to forget to keep your horse protected and comfortable while trailering this summer either. Make sure you take Professionals Choice Trailer Window screen with you to keep bugs, debris and the sun away from your horse while in the trailer.
- Inevitably despite our best efforts, pesky flies are going to get in the barn. Be sure you have your traps ready. We recommend keeping a few Starbar Trap n Toss Fly Traps on hand to eliminate those unwanted barn intruders.
- Another great product to have on hand to get rid flies is Starbar’s Fly Ribbons. You can even buy these in bulk to have plenty on hand to get you through the summer.
- We love innovative Fly Repellents that are all natural. BugPellent has a wonderfully effective product for your barn that control flies – deer, house, stable, horse and black – as well as ticks, mosquitoes and gnats. Hang this in your barn to replace whole barn spray systems which expose people and animals to toxic chemicals.
- Eqyss Barn Barrier Natural Fly Repellent is another natural way to repel flies in your barn. It is safe to use on bedding, blankets and tack.
We hope we have helped you get geared up to have a more pleasant, bug free summer! Check back next month when we discuss barn essentials like grooming kits, horse dewormer, and buckets.